The world is in chaos right now with the coronavirus claiming more lives and new patients every day. Everyone is in a hurry to build up their immunities. But we must understand the fact that immunity cannot be built overnight. Immunity building is a long and continuous process. However, there are things that you can do to keep your immune system alert and sharp during these difficult times.
Prevention is Better than Cure
As a vaccine for coronavirus still seems elusive, the best way to deal with the coronavirus is to not let it get to you. It can’t get inside you until you let it in. Keep indoors, maintain social distancing, wash and sanitize your hands frequently, don’t touch your eyes, nose, and mouth, and cover your mouth and nose while you sneeze.
Lead a Healthy Lifestyle
A healthy lifestyle is the first step towards a healthy and strong immune system. The following are some of the strategies which can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Healthy diet – Eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Include a variety of vegetables, especially leafy greens. The more varied your diet is, the more nutrients you would get. Wash and cook meat thoroughly. Wash your hands thoroughly after you have handled raw meat.
- Get adequate sleep – Adequate sleep is necessary for your body to rest and recharge. Sleep requirements vary from person to person and also based on activity levels. Adults generally need 7 to 9 hours of good sleep, teenagers around 8-10, school-age children around 9-11 and smaller children need more than that.
- Regular exercise – Regular exercise is essential for a healthy body as well as a healthy mind. You don’t have to go to the gym or go outside for exercise. If you have enough space inside your home premises, you can walk around, walk up and down the stairs, do some aerobics. Half an hour of vigorous exercise for adults and one hour for kids is the recommended exercise regimen by WHO during the COVID lockdown.
- Don’t smoke – Avoid smoking completely. If you take alcohol, do so in moderation.
It is natural to feel stressed in the current overwhelming situation. But it is important to not let stress get the better of you. Stress is known to have a negative impact on the immunity and general health of a person. Here are a few tips for managing stress.
- Talk to your loved ones and friends – you don’t have to go and meet them, just use the phone, do a video call.
- Take up a hobby that you can do at home.
- Learn a new language online.
- Learn new skills online.
- Don’t watch or read too much news. Watch or read your news from a credible source once or twice a day. Don’t fall for the fake news doing rounds on social media.
- If you are at home with your family, do activities and chores together. Turn the closedown time into bonding time with your family.
- Pray or Meditate. Praying and meditating have healing and calming powers.
Remember that together we can beat this virus. And the best way to do that is to stay healthy and safe and help others around you to stay safe.
Categories: Corona Virus